I have always wanted to hike Mt. Timpanogos but then whenever anyone asked me I would come up with some really great excuses why I couldn’t. Bryce finally convinced me to stop being a wuss and hike it with him! We set out at 2:15am and hiked through the dark. I could not believe how much water there was! We frequently had to cross streams that were from snow melt. I counted about 20 that we crossed (a lot of them were just the same waterfall we kept having to cross because of switch backs). We also had to cross 3 glaciers. Those were a little scary in the dark because you couldn’t see what would happen to you if you slipped and slid down the glacier. I had my trusty walking stick that I found on the ground and my great husband to keep me safe though. The hike up felt great. We were moving at a pretty quick pace and hardly needed to stop at all until we reached the saddle. After we passed the saddle I thought I might die. It was very steep and very tiring. I also thought we were going to miss the sunset but we didn’t. We got to the summit, sat down, then literally seconds later the sun started coming up over the horizon. We could not have timed it better. I was SO glad we got to see the sunset because it was absolutely beautiful.
We only stayed on the top for about 10 minutes then headed back down the mountain. The last two hours of the hike were a bit difficult for me. It felt like my feet were covered in blisters and every muscle in my body ached from my head to my toes. At one point I said “Bryce, I think we are getting close” to which he responded “Was that a positive comment I just heard?” Needless to say I was quite the complainer that last stretch of the hike. Mom had told me this hike was easier than Mt. McLaughlin, but I discovered that that was not the case…turns out she got Mt. Timpanogos and Timpanogos caves confused. In the end I was so happy we did it. We really did enjoy the time we got to spend together. It was a piece of cake for Bryce and growing experience for me :)
The moment I saw those cars was one of the happiest moments of my life. I made it out alive—barely.
Wow Cam! I didn't even know you had done this! That means you're not talking to me enough! That's quite an accomplishment. Good job Bryce to get her to do it!
ReplyDeletei'm so impressed! i need to do that someday. and i think you mean sunrise, not sunset :)
ReplyDeleteYeah whoops, Sunrise. haha, I said sunset multiple times. You definitely should do it some time. It is a great hike. Maybe next summer.
ReplyDeleteLooks like a cool hike. Impressive for actually completing it...or should I say for being dragged up it :)
ReplyDelete