Monday, July 16, 2012

Europe: Chateaux Excursion

One day while we were in Angers, my mom and dad set up for us to go to a couple of Chateaus. Since Angers is in the Loire valley, they aren’t too far from some of the most amazing castles in the world. We took a train to Tours, then hopped in a van with Patrick, our driver. We sat squished up front with him while a Portuguese family and another couple ladies sat in the back.

Our first stop was Chambord. It was about an hour drive from Tours. Chambord is the biggest castle in the Loire valley and was originally used as a hunting fortress for Francois I. It is pretty plain inside, but is quite a site from the outside. It has 325 fireplaces! And the view from the back is beautiful as it sits right on the edge of a forest.

IMG_0117

On the train to our castle adventure!

 IMG_0125   IMG_0126

IMG_0127

They were doing some restoring on the castle but this is where we entered. Good News: It was a nice sunny day. Bad News: Little bright for Bryce…kind of like our wedding day :)

   IMG_0135IMG_0137IMG_0150

One of my favorite parts of this castle is the double helix staircase. If I got up one side, and Bryce goes up the other, we never meet, unless we take a peek through the windows. I think it is so beautiful and so clever!

              IMG_0144      IMG_0145

Anyone need to go to the bathroom?

IMG_0158

Lots of rooms had evidence that this was indeed a hunting fortress.

IMG_0155

How would you like to have this as your backyard?

             IMG_0169    IMG_0170

Another view from the back and Bryce taking a break while I went and took a better look at the castle.

IMG_0174

What a view! Bryce missed out.

After Chambord we got back in the nice van that blew hot air, and headed over to Chenonceau. Chenonceau is a chateau built over water. It has a more feminine touch as it was mostly designed by women. This is one of my favorite castles. I just think I would like to live on a river…you could jump out of your bedroom window into the river!

   IMG_0177   IMG_0179

You really can’t even see the chateau unless you pay to go in because it is surrounded by trees. As soon as you emerge from the trees you see the beautiful gardens and castle in front of you.

IMG_0183IMG_0186  IMG_0187  IMG_0193    IMG_0199

I loved looking out onto the water from the Chateau. Especially if I had this good lookin’ guy wavin’ at me.

   IMG_0206    IMG_0190

Bryce cookin’ up some lunch, and I was tempted to take a nap on this bed…

IMG_0216  IMG_0223

We enjoyed hanging out in the gardens around the castle.

IMG_0229 IMG_0232

They had a little labyrinth/maze. It wasn’t very difficult for Bryce as you can imagine.

IMG_0230IMG_0237 IMG_0247

We had to wait for quite some time until the next train to Angers so we spent awhile in the square in front of the train station watching people and killing time. We were so glad we got to go on this little excursion.

Thanks Mom and Dad!

1 comment:

  1. Bryce reminds me of Bennett in the picture where he's blocking the sun from his eyes :)

    ReplyDelete