On Friday September 24, we drove down to Portland after Bryce’s work so that he could fly out with my dad and brothers to Chicago. Dave lives in Chicago and there was a BYU game in Michigan they all wanted to go to. On the way down to Portland Dallin kept screaming as if he was in pain, then he would go back to sleep. I checked to make sure the seatbelt wasn’t pinching him or anything. It looked fine to me so we just assumed that he was mad about being in the car.
When we arrived at Jake and Stacey’s Dallin had stopped screaming in pain but now he was so so sleepy he wouldn’t even wake up while I was putting his pajamas on. Bryce and Jake left for the airport and I was getting ready for bed I noticed Dallin had thrown up a little bit. I cleaned up his bed and went to bed in the other room. That night he cried off and on but never more than a few seconds.
The next morning he slept in and I finally woke him up at 9:30. He had little spots of yellow and brown throw up all over his blanket which looked weird to me. Also, he had a sore on his face from what I guessed was sleeping in a small spot of throw up. I gave him a bath then we (Stacey and I and the kids that weren’t at school) headed over to Shane and Jessica’s to see my mom and Jess. A few minutes after arriving I decided I better go to the ER because Dallin was so lathargic. He wouldn’t even hold up his head.
My mom came with me since Bryce was gone and we went to a small hospital not too far from Jessica’s. The doctor immediately thought it was the flu and said as soon as we got an IV in him he’d perk right up. I was convinced it was not the flu because I’d never seen either of my kids act like this with the stomach flu. We had to wait for hours to just get his IV in. At that time he definitely did not perk up. He just wanted to sleep. He went to get some stomach xrays and came back and threw up. When the doctor saw him throw up and saw the color of it he was a bit more concerned (even though I had tried to tell the doctor that earlier:)
After we had been at the hospital for several hours, the doctor thought maybe Dallin had intussusception. He wanted to transfer Dallin to Randall Children’s hospital where they would have the equipment to do the procedure to fix it. About an hour later we got transferred to Randall children’s hospital. It was abotu 4:00pm (we had arrived at the hospital around 10:30 or 11am).
I rode with Dallin in the ambulance and when we got to Randall Children’s Hospital (the same hospital where Asher has had his heart surgeries) there was a team of doctors, nurses, nurse assistants all ready to help cute little Dallin. He had to have x-rays again, then they did an ultra sound and confirmed that it was intussusception. Soon thereafter they took him up to do the procedure. They call it a double-contrast barium enema. They essentially put liquid up his bum with contrast in it so they can look on a screen an the liquid straightens out the intestines. This all happened around 7:00pm and he wasn’t allowed to eat until the next morning at around 11:00am. He was such a good boy though! Even though he was starving he did great at night. They gave him a pacifier (which we had taken away a month or so earlier) so he did great. Sleeping on a hospital bed is no picnic!
The hospital was so great (way better than the first one) and we were so grateful it was an easy fix and we went home the next evening. It wasn’t a very fun vacation for me but fun for Bryce (well except for BYU losing, see below).
Meanwhile Bryce was having a great time in Chicago. Well as great of time as he could have while worrying about his baby boy in the hospital. They toured downtown Chicago, visited Dave on campus, ate Chicago style pizza & went to the BYU game in Michagn.
That is so scary! I am always so worried that I won't know when to take Lacey in to the doctor if something were to happen. Glad that they were able to fix him up!
ReplyDeleteDefinitely a weekend to remember! so glad he had something that could be fixed. It was scary seeing him like that. You were a very calm mom.
ReplyDelete